jmihalik

jmihalik

Steel's Edge (The Edge, Book 4)

Steel's Edge -  Ilona Andrews Disclaimer: I received this as an ARC from the author.

3.5 stars. I'm sure about the rating. I'm still debating whether to round up or down, since Goodreads doesn't allow for half stars. There were parts of the book I loved and parts I didn't care for.

I loved the first few chapters. Loved. I felt an instant connection to Charlotte. The whole book would've had a lower rating if not for these few chapters.

There were some of the best lines and scenes in this book. The line about being a blueblood requiring "unshakeable entitlement" was one of my favorites. Charlotte and Richard's interactions cracked me up. They were both so proper and yet so not.

I did have a few issues with the book. I felt this book was several books trying to be one book. There were elements of action adventure, hints of military strategy, and a broad amount of almost regency romance (knowing all the rules of your social class). Usually Ilona and Gordon have a deft hand at merging several genres. This time it didn't work as well for me.

This is also the one of the first Ilona Andrews books I've been able to set down in the middle and not have a burning desire to pick it back up again. Granted, there were some extenuating circumstances (my family was in town), and I stopped right after a part I didn't like (Richard's decision to change his face.).

My last issue was the fact that this was the final book and felt the need to wrap up all of the outstanding plot issues. I thought Spider felt thrown in because he had to be, not necessarily because he fit. His death, after all of the buildup, felt kind of like a token nod to wrapping up the plot line instead of a culmination of the series.

Overall, I'm going to round up. I liked this book more than On The Edge, which I gave a straight three stars. And even though I tend to focus on the negatives in my reviews, I did enjoy the book and would recommend it.