jmihalik

jmihalik

Ready Player One

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline I'm conflicted about the rating. One the one hand, this book is like distilled geek pop-culture that warms the cockles of my heart. On the other, it turns out you can have too much of a good thing.

I'm at a rare loss for words when trying to review this book. It wasn't that I didn't like it, but I didn't love it, either.

Clearly, the author did his research. Clearly, he wanted you to know that. There were tons of infodumps with all sorts of esoteric data. I had to force myself not to skip them for fear that I was missing an essential piece of the plot. I wasn't.

The plot moves along without many twists or turns. For me, the most surprising part was when his aunt's trailer blew up, and that was fairly early in the book.

After that, things seem to be all going Wade's way, and the rest of the book is completed with hardly any effort on his part. Yes, yes, he goes to IOI headquarters as a indentured servant or whatever, but he gets out without a hint of trouble. At least make him run for his life or something.