jmihalik

jmihalik

Magic Rises (Kate Daniels)

Magic Rises - Ilona Andrews Disclaimer: I received this book as an eARC from the author.

Holy shit. That's my reaction to this book--in a good way!

This entire book is full of spoilers, which makes reviewing it a little difficult. Kate is very Kate. Curran is very Curran. At some points I was hoping Kate would punch Curran straight in the face. Sadly, that never happened.

It was really interesting to see a large chunk of the group in a new setting. It was enough people that sometimes I had to think about who was who, but overall it worked.

I nearly cried on page eight. Page eight!! The emotional drama just ramps up from there.

The book takes a while to really get going, but once it does, hold on tight. Definitely one of my favorites in the series.

One small issue: someone dies in this book, but it lacked emotional punch. I'm not going to say who, even in the spoiler tag, but I thought the emotional impact was kind of lost in all the drama that was going on at the same time.

I nearly cried when a mother sang a lullaby to her loup kid; someone died and I was like, "oh, that should be sad" without ever really feeling the emotion. I think maybe I was already wrung out from the preceding/ongoing events. Or maybe I'm just weird.

Now, I think I need a drink...