jmihalik

jmihalik

Up From the Grave: A Night Huntress Novel

Up From the Grave - Jeaniene Frost Strap in, this is going to be a rough one. I'm not sure if it was the book or me, but I really wasn't feeling this one. It's possible that I just wasn't in the mood for an angst-filled book, so take the review with a grain of salt.

I very nearly put it down at page 95 (ePub edition). The angst was over the top, and I wasn't enjoying reading it. The rest of the review is going to have to be in the spoiler tag. You've been warned.

I almost put the book down right after Bones' "death" on the pier. I didn't for a second believe he died a third of the way through the book. It might have been better if he actually had died, truth be told. For one, I vaguely remembered that he'd pulled this trick (or similar) before. For two, he had already flat-out told Cat his plan, just not in so many words. So all of her over-the-top emotional angst was for nothing if she'd just used her brain for two seconds.

So Cat lets herself get captured and is all depressed and ends up in a highly secured secret government lab. Stuff happens, blah, blah, blah. Bones gets godlike powers and busts them out with nary a single person lost. And this is why I didn't believe he had died and I felt no tension when she was captured. Everyone walks out unscathed after taking down the whole lab. Someone important needed to die, if only to prove that no one was safe. It would've amped up the tension in the second half of the book.

The whole daughter plot line felt extremely contrived. Cat became insta-mom. There's something to be said for genetics, but damn. I wasn't a fan.

The demon plot was so neatly resolved that he should've just stabbed himself in the eye from the beginning and saved everyone the trouble.

I did enjoy the Marie subplot, because I think she's a really interesting character, so it was nice to see more of her.

Overall, it was okay, hence the two-star rating. I really enjoyed this series, but this book wasn't my favorite.