jmihalik

jmihalik

Generally, I prefer fantasy to science fiction, even if it is romantic SF, but I'll try anything written by Ilona Andrews. Ilona and Gordon (the writing duo behind "Ilona Andrews") have an amazing talent for world-building, one of the best I've read, and that talent was on full display in Silver Shark. The world was richly detailed and totally believable, even with all of the added SF aspects.

I loved the main character Claire and found her likeable and easy to relate to. I got emotionally involved in her story, and wanted for her to have a happy ending.

So with all the praise, why only four stars? Well, I had one main problem with the story, but it's a spoiler, so read on at your own risk.

The story had good pacing up until the final two chapters. A nice sexual tension had been building through the story, along with Claire and Venturo's relationship.

But then, at the end of the second to last chapter, Claire's true identity comes to light and Venturo feels betrayed and furious. It's the climax of the book and emotionally intense. I wanted to know how they were going to move past this issue and get together.

The very next chapter, which appears to be just a couple hours later in story time, Venturo's outside of Claire's apartment ready for sexy-time. It was jarring. I expected some sort of resolution, then sex, not sex *as* the resolution. Minus one star, though the scene itself almost earned it back. ;)

Disclaimer: This review is based on a pre-release, proof copy of Silver Shark I received for free. This did not affect my rating.